We strongly recommend ordering a past copy of Ruminate to better
understand the type of work we are looking for. You can order a nonfiction bundle of print issues featuring our nonfiction prize winners from past years. PDF versions of the
magazine are available for $5 each. Issue 40, Issue 35, Issue 32 all feature our nonfiction prize winners from past years.
- The submission deadline for the prize is November 15th, 2017. Note – there is a grace period of three days for this contest. Entries submitted by 11:59 PST on November 18th will be entered into the contest.
The entry fee is $20. (Entry fee includes a complimentary hard copy of Ruminate if you enter by Nov. 5th. After Nov. 5th, the entry fee includes a complimentary digital copy of Ruminate.)
You may submit one nonfiction piece per entry and it must be 5500 words or less. There is no limit on the number of entries per person.
$1500 and publication in Ruminate will be awarded to the winner. The runner-up will receive $200 and publication in Ruminate.
- An anonymous reading of all entries will be conducted by a panel of Ruminate readers, who will select 10 nonfiction finalists. Those 10 finalists will then be read for our final judge who will select a winner.
- Our final judge is Camille Dungy
Close friends and students (current & former) of the final judge, Camille Dungy, are not eligible to compete—we define student as someone who has taken one semester-long course or more with the judge; those who have only studied under the judge for week-long workshops and the like are still eligible.
- Also not eligible to compete are: regular Ruminate blog contributors, past 1st-place winners of any Ruminate Prize, past judges of any Ruminate prizes, and friends or family of the Ruminate staff,
All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions. We do not accept previously published entries.
All submissions must be previously unpublished.
- There is no theme or topic for the nonfiction prize.
You may enter simultaneously submitted work, however, please withdraw your submission immediately if it is accepted elsewhere.
You may submit any type of creative nonfiction—personal essay, short memoir, literary journalism, etc.
- We will be notifying all entrants of submission status in mid-February, 2018.
Please remove your name, bio, and any contact info from the file that you submit.