The Waking is Ruminate Community's online literary magazine that houses high-quality literary writing about what it’s like to be human. We are interested in short-form and flash prose as well as image-text/hybrid work. This art can be beautiful, it can be strange, we just ask that it feels true.
We are committed to creating a community that represents the unity and diversity of the human experience by promoting voices that typically aren’t heard, particularly those that belong to individuals from historically marginalized and oppressed groups.
Editor of The Waking: Cherie Nelson
- Word count: 1500 words or under (you can send up to 3 micros in the same document if the total word count is under 1500.)
- We are particularly excited about work from BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other historically marginalized groups. If this is you, feel free to let us know!
- If your work is declined, we ask that you wait three months before submitting again to the same genre unless an editor requests more work from you.
- Please send your piece as a Word doc.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Please withdraw your piece on Submittable if it has been accepted elsewhere.
If your work is accepted:
Part of the ethos of our magazine is working collaboratively with our writers to illuminate their lovely work! Most pieces we accept go through a revision process beyond line editing.
We are also excited to now offer our published writers an honorarium of $10 and a complimentary back issue of our print magazine (normally $15 each)!