Writing for the Ruminate Blog:
Please take a look at some posts here to get an idea of what we're looking for. Currently we are not paying our guest bloggers, however, you will receive a complimentary copy of one of Ruminate's back issues. We are also looking for regular blog columnists. If you are interested in becoming a regular columnist, please note that in your submission.
We welcome submissions by people from all walks of life and from all faith traditions, from seekers and doubters and people exploring the big questions and the human condition.
Ruminate is a nonprofit magazine and online community and our vision is to inspire and nourish the creative and contemplative in all of us. Your submission should be grounded in a contemplative and/or creative posture.
Ruminate Blog Post Submission Guidelines
- The Ruminate Blog publishes posts on topics including (but not limited to):
- the writing/artist life
- the contemplative life
- topical issues surrounding art and/or faith (see Sophfronia Scott’s piece: http://www.ruminatemagazine.com/2015/06/for-roxane-gay-notes-from-a-forgiving-heart/)
- narrative/personal essays
- spiritual/contemplative prayer practices
- our earth
- slowing down and paying attention
- social justice and activism
- ordinary sacredness
- the body
- a short reflection on a poem, quote, or book that inspires or nourishes you
- If you have any photos to include along with the post, please make sure you have permission or that the photo is under the Creative Commons license.
- Submissions should be 1000 words or less.
- Please submit a 100 word or less bio (including relevant publications) and a headshot to be published with your submission if accepted
- Any relevant or helpful links should be included in the body of your submission
Our blog editor, Charnell Peters shares these words about her vision for the blog:
"As a part of Ruminate’s
contemplative and imaginative space, the Ruminate
blog seeks work that embraces inquiry and process over answers and
destinations. In all dimensions of our lives—spiritual, creative, physical,
emotional, mental, relational—we sojourn from one stage to another and rarely
in linear form. I am looking for work that contends with the winding,
convoluted ways in which the many dimensions of our lives unfold and pieces
that speak to common the inquiry and struggle of wayfinding in those journeys.
blog is a place for work
that queries, shares, and relates with open palms, with tension, and with the
breadth and depth of your experience, not work that presents oversimplified
answers or didactic anecdotes. Some good questions to ask of your submission
are: Is this work generous in that it shares honestly with others? Does this
work make space for inquiry or contemplation? Is this work accessible? We seek work that honors the
diversity of our lives and welcome work from writers of all faith backgrounds.
We especially welcome work from people whose voices have been historically
marginalized. The best way to understand what the Ruminate
blog is looking for is to read a few pieces for yourself