(Looking for short prose submissions? Go here.)
The Waking is an online literary magazine and part of the Ruminate creative community that houses high-quality literary writing about what it’s like to be human. We are interested in short-form prose and visual-text and hybrid work. This art can be beautiful, it can be strange, we just ask that it feels true.
We are committed to creating a community that represents the unity and diversity of the human experience by promoting voices that typically aren’t heard, particularly those that belong to individuals from historically marginalized and oppressed groups (LGBTQ+, BIPOC, etc.)We are committed to creating a community that represents the unity and diversity of the human experience by promoting voices that typically aren’t heard, particularly those that belong to individuals from historically marginalized and oppressed groups (LGBTQ+, BIPOC, etc.)
What do we mean by image-text and hybrid work?
We're looking for literary work that is multimodal or doesn't fit neatly into other genre categories such as photo essays, graphic narrative, erasure pieces, work that is formally interesting or unusual, etc. Work we really love feels organic, true to itself, and makes us think "this piece couldn't have taken any other form!"
We're open January-April, August-November. Our free reading period is the 1-15th of each month we are open. After that, we'll require a reading fee in order to grow The Waking and the amount we're able to pay contributors.
- We are particularly excited about sharing voices that aren't often heard (BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, and other historically marginalized groups). If this is you, feel free to let us know!
- If your work is declined, we ask that you wait three months before submitting again to the same genre unless an editor requests more work from you.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine. Please withdraw your piece on Submittable if it has been accepted elsewhere.
Editor of The Waking: Cherie Nelson
If your work is accepted:
- Part of the ethos of our magazine is working collaboratively with our writers to illuminate their lovely work! Most pieces we accept go through a revision process beyond line editing.
- We are also excited to now offer our published writers an honorarium of $10 and a complimentary back issue of our print magazine (normally $15 each)!