- General magazine submissions are always free.
- We currently pay $15/poem and $15/400 words for prose. Ruminate firmly believes in paying our contributors, and we are working hard to increase the amount we pay them.
- We only accept submissions that are previously unpublished (a piece that has had a circulation of 500 or greater, in print or online is considered previously published).
- We do accept simultaneous submissions, however, please notify us right away if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- If you are interested in receiving writing feedback from the Ruminate staff, please review our writing critique sessions.
- If you agree to allow Ruminate to publish your work, we will receive first serial rights and all rights revert back to you.
- We only accept online submissions, as our readers are spread across the country. Any submissions made by postal mail or email will not be considered.
- Please wait for a response to your submission before sending us more work.
- Before submitting, we strongly recommend ordering a copy of the magazine in order to better understand the type of work we publish and to tailor your submission accordingly.
- Our response time is approximately 3-4 months.
- If you need to make a correction to a submission, such as removing your contact info or withdrawing a poem from a batch of poems submitted, please use the "Allow Edit Requests" function in Submittable.
Get published on the Ruminate Blog!
Please take a look at some posts here to get an idea of what we're looking for. Currently we are not paying our guest bloggers, however, you will receive a complimentary copy of one of Ruminate's back issues. We are also looking for regular blog columnists. If you are interested in becoming a regular columnist, please note that in your submission.
We welcome submissions by people from all walks of life and from all faith traditions, from seekers and doubters and people exploring the big questions and the human condition.
Ruminate is a nonprofit magazine and online community and our vision is to inspire and nourish the creative and contemplative in all of us. Your submission should be grounded in a contemplative and/or creative posture.
Ruminate Blog Post Submission Guidelines
- The Ruminate Blog publishes posts on topics including (but not limited to):
- thoughts on faith and art
- the writing/artist life
- the contemplative life
- topical issues surrounding art and/or faith (see Sophfronia Scott’s piece: http://www.ruminatemagazine.com/2015/06/for-roxane-gay-notes-from-a-forgiving-heart/)
- narrative/personal essays
- spiritual/contemplative prayer practices
- slowing down and paying attention
- social justice and activism
- ordinary sacredness
- the body
- a short reflection on a favorite poem or quote that inspires or nourishes you
- If you have any photos to include along with the post, please make sure you have permission or that the photo is under the Creative Commons license.
- Submissions should be 1000 words or less.
- Please submit a 100 word or less bio (including relevant publications) and a headshot to be published with your submission if accepted
- Any relevant or helpful links should be included in the body of your submission
Visual artists may submit the following:
- Professional quality digital images in TIFF or JPG formats (if JPG, saved in “baseline” or “standard” format at the highest quality possible). Images must be Mac and PC compatible. Note: Please do not submit PPT or PPTX presentations; minimum of 320 dpi and between 1200 and 2400 pixels in the longest dimension.
- Please include an artist statement as well.
-The submission deadline is May 15, 2017, and we offer a 3-day grace period after the deadline. Poems submitted by May 18, 2017 will be entered into the poetry contest.
-The entry fee is $20 (includes a copy of Ruminate).
-All submissions must be previously unpublished work.
-You may submit up to two poems per entry, no longer than 40 lines each.
-You may only upload one document, so please make sure to include both poems in the same document.
-There is no theme or topic for the poetry prize.
-$1500 and publication will be awarded to the winner. $200 and publication will be awarded to the second-place winner.
-All entries will be blind-judged by our panel of readers who will select fifteen poems as finalists.
-The finalist judge will review the fifteen finalist poems and select the first place and second place and honorable mention poems.
-Close friends and students (current & former) of this year's judge, Shane McCrae, are not eligible to compete—we define student as someone who has taken one semester-long course or more with Shane McCrae; those who have only studied under the judge for week-long workshops and the like are still eligible. Also not eligible to compete are: friends or family of the Ruminate staff, regular Ruminate blog contributors, past 1st-place winners of any Ruminate Prize, and past judges of any of our prizes.
-All submissions must be submitted via our online submission manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions.
-We do accept simultaneous submissions. However, please withdraw your entry or notify us immediately via the Submittable "note function" if a poem is accepted elsewhere.
-Please remove your name, bio, and any contact info from the file that you submit.
-All entrants will be notified of their submission status by Mid-August.
We only accept short stories that are under 5,500 words. You may submit only one story per reading period. Please include your name within the document that you submit, preferably at the top of the first page. Please title your file(s) being submitted with your last name, first name, and the genre of your work: (Doe_John_Essay.doc).
We accept all forms of creative nonfiction—essays, short memoirs, literary journalism, etc. We only accept pieces that are under 5,500 words. You may only submit one nonfiction piece per reading period. We currently pay nonfiction contributors $15 per 400 words and in contributor copies.